Digital Compact Camera Nikon COOLPIX S710
August 7, 2008
High performance and advanced features combined within the sophisticated elegance of the world's smallest package*
TOKYO – Nikon Corporation is pleased to announce the introduction of the COOLPIX S710. Blending elegant design and quality construction with advanced features and high performance, the COOLPIX S710 is as satisfying to carry as it is with which to shoot beautiful photos.
The COOLPIX S710 delivers photographic performance that exceeds expectations of the most compact dimensions among competing compact digital cameras*. Imaging power begins with 14.5 effective megapixels of sharp resolution from the new 1/1.72-inch CCD image sensor. The precision optics of a new 3.6x Zoom-NIKKOR lens support true wide-angle through medium-telephoto shooting with a focal range of 28-101mm (35mm format equivalent). Image processing based on Nikon's innovative EXPEED digital image-processing concept yields high-resolution images with clarity and true-to-life color, all at a high speed that contributes to efficient and stress-free camera operation.
The stylish contours and fine finish of the COOLPIX S710's stainless steel body conceal the heart of a true high performance camera. Designed to allow users to capture special moments at will, the COOLPIX S710 delivers the control that photographers want for creative fun and freedom, including Programmed Auto [P], Shutter-priority Auto [S], Aperture-priority Auto [A], and Manual [M] exposure modes.
Quality operation and controls receive as much attention. For example, the 3.0-inch LCD monitor offers a bright and large image that makes it a pleasure to use, even out in the sun. And the surrounding large control buttons and the user-friendly Rotary Multi Selector are carefully positioned to provide intuitive operation.
- *Among 14 megapixel compact cameras equipped with optical vibration reduction as of August 7, 2008 (according to research conducted by Nikon Corporation).
- Note:Specifications, design, product name, standard accessories, and release schedule may differ by country or area.
Nikon COOLPIX S710 Feature Highlights
Exposure modes that offer greater creative freedom
Four exposure modes accessed via the Rotary Multi Selector provide greater control over the expression of results. Programmed Auto [P] mode automatically selects shutter speed and aperture for optimal exposure. Shutter-priority Auto [S] lets the user select shutter speed while the camera sets the optimal aperture. Aperture-priority Auto [A] offers 10-step manual control over the aperture setting to let the user decide depth of field. And Manual [M] exposure mode provides full control over both the shutter speed and aperture settings.
Advanced shooting modes
The COOLPIX S710's new Scene Auto Selector provides carefree shooting in a variety of scenes by automatically distinguishing the setting and then selecting the scene mode appropriate to that situation. Smile Mode helps to faithfully record precious smiles in the brief instants they appear.
Optical VR image stabilization helps ensure clearer results
Optical lens shift VR (Vibration Reduction) is field proven technology originally developed for Nikon SLR camera lenses. It counteracts the effects of camera shake in lower light or when shooting unsteady subjects to help achieve sharper results and allow shooting at shutter speeds as much as three steps slower without blurring the image And active full time, it stabilizes images displayed on the 3.0-inch LCD monitor for easier framing and more reassured shooting.
Motion Detection helps ensure clearer results
When the COOLPIX S710 detects camera shake or subject movement while shooting, it automatically selects a higher ISO sensitivity setting to enable the use of faster shutter speeds. In doing so, it reduces the possibility of image blur to help provide sharp pictures.
ISO 12800 capability provides extended shooting range for clearer results
Light sensitivity can be manually set as high as ISO 12800*. In Auto Mode, ISO control automatically selects the optimal sensitivity setting for the shot across a range up to ISO 1600. High ISO Sensitivity Auto is also available across a range of ISO 100 to ISO 3200.
- *ISO 6400 and 12800 are available only for image sizes of 3M (2048 x 1536) or smaller.
Large 3.0-inch LCD monitor for quality viewing and menu operation
Almost defying the compact body proportions of the COOLPIX S710 is a high quality 3.0-inch LCD monitor. Features include 230k-dots of high resolution, a wide-viewing angle of 170 degrees, a protective acrylic panel that prevents scratches and fingerprints, and anti-reflection coating for better display in bright situations.
Nikon COOLPIX S710 Other Features
- Three Unique Nikon Image Innovations: Face-priority AF, In-Camera Red-Eye Fix, D-Lighting
- Macro shooting from as close as 10 cm (4 in.)
- 3.6x digital zoom extends compositional freedom
- 16 handy scene modes for optimized results in various shooting situations
- Four movie modes with sound
- Time zone function for easy setting of multiple locations
- Light weight and highly compact
- SDHC card compatibility*
- Approx. 42 MB of internal memory
- USB (Hi-Speed) connectivity
- *Not compatible with Multi Media Card (MMC).
Nikon COOLPIX S710 Specifications
|Effective pixels||14.5 million|
|Image sensor||1/1.72-in. CCD; total pixels: approx. 15.0 million|
|Lens||3.6x Zoom-NIKKOR; 6.0-21.6mm (35mm  format picture angle: 28-101mm); f/2.8-5.6; 7 elements in 6 groups; Digital zoom: up to 4x (35mm  format picture angle: 404mm)|
|Focus range (from lens)||50cm (1 ft. 7.7 in.) to infinity (∞) at wide-angle, 80cm (2 ft. 7.5 in.) to infinity (∞) at telescopic; Macro close-up mode: 10cm (4 in.) to infinity (∞)|
|Monitor||3.0-in., approx. 230k-dot, wide-viewing angle TFT LCD with anti-reflection coating|
|Storage media||Internal memory (approx. 42 MB), SD memory cards*1|
|Image size (pixels)||4352 x 3264 (High: 4352/Normal: 4352), 3264 x 2448 (Normal: 3264), 2592 x 1944 (Normal: 2592), 2048 x 1536 (Normal: 2048), 1024 x 768 (PC: 1024), 640 x 480 (TV: 640), 4352 x 2448 (16:9), 1920 x 1080 (16:9)|
|Vibration Reduction (VR)||Optical lens shift VR|
|ISO sensitivity||ISO 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200, 6400*2, 12800*2, Auto (auto gain ISO 100-1600), High ISO Sensitivity Auto (ISO 100-3200)|
|Power sources||Rechargeable Li-ion Battery EN-EL12 (supplied), AC Adapter EH-62F (optional)|
|Battery life||Approx. 250 shots with EN-EL12 battery|
|Dimensions (W x H x D)||Approx. 92.5 x 57.5 x 24.0 mm (3.6 x 2.3 x 1.0 in.) excluding projections|
|Weight||Approx. 155 g (5.5 oz.) without battery and SD memory card|
|Supplied accessories*3||Rechargeable Li-ion Battery EN-EL12, Battery Charger MH-65, USB Cable UC-E6, Audio Video Cable EG-CP14, Strap AN-CP19, Software Suite CD-ROM|
|Optional accessories||AC Adapter EH-62F|
- *1Not compatible with Multi Media Cards (MMC).
- *2Setting is available only for image sizes of 3M (2048 x 1536) or smaller.
- *3Supplied accessories may differ by country or area.
|OS||Macintosh: Mac OS X version 10.3.9, 10.4.11, 10.5.2
Windows: Windows Vista (32bit), Windows XP Home Edition/Professional pre-installed models
|Note||CD-ROM drive required for installation. Only built-in USB ports are supported.|
- *Microsoft®, Windows® and Windows™ Vista are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Microsoft Corporation in the United States and/or other countries. Macintosh®, Mac® OS and QuickTime® are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Apple Inc. in the United States and/or other countries. The SDHC logo is a trademark. PictBridge is a trademark. The FotoNation logo is a trademark. FSE (Face Sensing Engine) technology is provided by OKI. Products and brand names are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective companies.
- *Specifications and equipment are subject to change without any notice or obligation on the part of the manufacturer. August 2008
The information is current as of the date of publication. It is subject to change without notice.