AF-S DX NIKKOR 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED VR II
January 6, 2015
Adoption of a retractable barrel enables a smaller lens possible with the Nikon DX format
A telephoto zoom lens that increases the portability and agility of a camera system
TOKYO - Nikon Corporation is pleased to announce the release of the AF-S DX NIKKOR 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED VR II, a telephoto zoom lens compatible with Nikon DX-format digital SLR cameras.
The AF-S DX NIKKOR 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED VR II is a telephoto zoom lens that supports the 55-200mm*1 range of focal lengths and maximum apertures of f/4-5.6. Adoption of a retractable barrel mechanism has made a smaller and lighter lens possible. The total length (distance from camera lens mount flange when the lens is retracted) is approximately 16.5 mm shorter, the maximum diameter is approximately 2.5 mm smaller, and the lens weighs approximately 35 g less than the AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G IF-ED. When used with a Nikon DX-format digital SLR camera, this significantly smaller and lighter lens makes the camera system even more portable and agile. The AF-S DX NIKKOR 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED VR II design follows in the footsteps of the AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II, the standard kit lens for D3000- and D5000-series cameras, offering an integrated look and feel.
In addition to a vibration reduction (VR) function offering compensation equal to an approximately 4.0-stop*2 increase in shutter speed, an ED lens element that maximizes the superior optical performance of this lens has been adopted for very little chromatic aberration. This single lens responds to a wide variety of photographic subjects and scenes, from everyday snapshots to portraits, moving subjects, and distant subjects. It is the optimal lens for those planning to embrace full-scale photography with a digital SLR camera, and those who wish to record memorable moments with beautiful photos.
- *1Angle of view equivalent to that of a lens with focal lengths of 82.5-300mm in 35mm  format.
- *2Measured in accordance with CIPA standards. When used with a DX-format digital SLR camera. Measured at the maximum telephoto position.
AF-S DX NIKKOR 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED VR II Primary Features
- A telephoto zoom lens that supports the 55-200mm (angle of view equivalent to that of a lens with focal lengths of 82.5-300mm in 35mm  format) range of focal lengths and maximum apertures of f/4-5.6 compatible with Nikon DX-format digital SLR cameras
- Adoption of a retractable barrel makes the lens significantly smaller
- Equipped with a vibration reduction (VR) function that effectively reduces the effects of camera shake (camera shake compensation equivalent to a 4.0-stop* increase in shutter speed)
- Adoption of an ED lens element maximizes the superior optical performance of the lens for little chromatic aberration
- *Measured in accordance with CIPA standards. However, this value applies only when used with a DX-format digital SLR camera. Measured at the maximum telephoto position.
- *Specifications, design, product name and supplied accessories may differ by country or area. Specifications and equipment are subject to change without any notice or obligation on the part of the manufacture.
The information is current as of the date of publication. It is subject to change without notice.