AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II
July 30, 2009
Compact 11.1x Ultra-High Ratio Zoom Lens with Zoom Lock Switch
TOKYO — Nikon Corporation is pleased to announce the upcoming release of the new ultra-high ratio zoom lens AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II for use expressly with Nikon DX-format digital-SLR cameras.
A number of unique Nikon technologies have been developed for, and applied to, including a high zoom magnification of 11.1x, a Vibration Reductiaon (VR II) image stabilization system that provides camera shake compensation equivalent to increases in shutter speed by four stops, and a Silent Wave Motor (SWM), as well as a zoom lock switch. Designed expressly for use with Nikon digital-SLR cameras, exceptional image performance is assured.
As the compact AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II covers an extremely wide range of focal lengths (18-200mm, equivalent to 27-300mm in 35mm format; a zoom magnification of 11.1x), it offers excellent versatility for various scenes that include portraits and landscapes. The addition of a zoom lock switch allows photographers to secure the lens barrel at its minimum length, eliminating the natural gravitational effect that can draw the barrel downward during transport.
This lens offers superior optical performance in a compact size of just 77 x 96.5 mm, despite a high zoom magnification of 11.1x. Nikon's Silent Wave Motor (SWM) assures fast and quiet autofocusing.
The Vibration Reduction system (VR II) provides camera shake compensation equivalent to increases in shutter speed by four steps. Two Vibration Reduction modes are available.
NORMAL VR mode: Reduces ordinary camera shake. Panning is also supported.
ACTIVE VR mode: Reduces extreme camera shake, such as that which occurs when shooting from a moving vehicle.
Optics, optimized for use with digital-SLR cameras, utilize two ED glass elements and three aspherical lenses for optimum balance of chromatic aberration, astigmatism and distortion compensation, allowing for capture of images exhibiting extraordinary fidelity, with vivid color, high resolution and crisp contrast.
- Note: Although DX NIKKOR lenses can be attached to 35mm-format and IX 240-format film cameras, the smaller image circle they project on the film plane prohibits compatibility with these cameras. When this (or any DX NIKKOR) lens is mounted on a Nikon FX-format digital SLR, with the Image Area option set to Auto DX crop (default), the camera recognizes that a DX NIKKOR lens is in use and the DX crop mode is activated automatically.
AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Major Features
- A zoom lens offering a high zoom ratio with magnification of 11.1x
- Equipped with a zoom lock switch
- Equipped with a compact Silent Wave Motor (SWM)
- Built-in Vibration Reduction (VR II)
- Nikon Super Integrated Coating (SIC) adopted
AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Specifications
|Lens construction||16 elements in 12 groups (with two ED glass and three aspherical lens elements)|
|Closest focusing distance||0.5 m/1.6 ft.|
|No. of diaphragm blades||7 (rounded)|
|Diameter x length (extension from lens mount)||Approximately 77 x 96.5 mm/3.0 x 3.8 in.|
|Weight||Approximately 565 g/19.9 oz.|
|Supplied accessories||72mm Snap-on Front Lens Cap LC-72, Rear Lens Cap LF-1, Bayonet Hood HB-35, Flexible Lens Pouch CL-1018|
- Specifications and equipment are subject to change without any notice or obligation on the part of the manufacturer.
The information is current as of the date of publication. It is subject to change without notice.