Digital Compact Camera COOLPIX L1
September 1, 2005
The compact digital camera delivering higher quality, 5x optical zoom capability, and an impressive array of functions.
Tokyo — Nikon Corporation is pleased to announce the introduction of the COOLPIX L1. A camera offering higher quality results, 5x optical zooming performance and the ability to improve images in-camera, the COOLPIX L1 is a lightweight compact digital with the power to stand out from the crowd.
With a powerful 38-190mm Zoom-Nikkor lens (35mm equivalent), the COOLPIX L1 gives you much greater freedom to compose shots as you wish, letting you zoom in for tight portraits or zoom right out to capture wide-open scenery. It also features a CCD specially designed to deliver higher performance within smaller dimensions — contributing to the overall highly portable dimensions of the camera, while packing in an impressive 6.2 effective megapixels for a refinement in clarity that's noticeable at a glance. The COOLPIX L1 also features a large, bright, easy-to-view LCD monitor that makes it easy to compose shots and fun to play back the results right there on the spot.
As for its design, the COOLPIX L1 is simple, streamlined and attractive. It features a curved grip that gives the camera an appealing look while contributing to comfortable, stable shooting. It is also ideally suited to carrying anywhere, with truly compact dimensions, a surprisingly light weight and the advantage of AA-size battery compatibility. Such batteries are widely available in lithium, rechargeable or other forms, making it easy for the user to keep on shooting in different countries around the world. Easy operation begins with the simple-to-use multi-selector button and a Graphic User Interface (GUI) that enables users to select functions by either name or icon. There's even a handy HELP button that can be pressed to display simple-to-understand explanations for functions on the main menu, and all information can be displayed in a choice of 12 different languages.
A range of unique Nikon capabilities give the user the power to improve recorded images in-camera with automated ease. Available in Playback Mode, the D-Lighting function lets users select images with excessive backlight or insufficient flash. The COOLPIX L1 then automatically creates a copy of the selected image with added detail and light wherever necessary. The Face-priority AF function is able to detect the location of a human face within the frame, providing sharp focus on it automatically to produce pleasingly sharp portraits no matter where the subject is positioned in the frame. The In-Camera Red-Eye Fix function detects the red-eye effect that can sometimes be caused by flash, then automatically corrects it in-camera for consistently better portraits in low light. The COOLPIX L1 offers a Blur Warning function too that alerts users whenever a shot has been compromised by camera shake, giving them a chance to take a better shot before leaving the scene.
With a choice of 15 Scene Modes, the COOLPIX L1 makes it easy to achieve pleasing results in a wide range of common situations. Simply select the Scene Mode best suited to the subject at hand and the COOLPX L1 automatically selects the optimal settings for results you can be proud of. Four of the handy Scene Modes also offer the additional benefit of Scene Assist, which helps the user to take shots with better composition.
The COOLPIX L1 is compatible with widely available SD memory cards. Furthermore, it features 10MB of internal memory that makes it possible for the user to keep on shooting even when no additional memory media is available and allows images to be easily moved from one SD card to another. The COOLPIX L1 offers movie-shooting capability with sound at up to 30fps too, with a choice of TV-size, small-size, and smaller size shooting.
With the COOLPIX L1, ease of use and enjoyment also continue beyond shooting. PictBridge capability enables the camera to be connected to a compatible printer for printing without the need for a computer. USB connectivity makes it easy to transfer data to computers and other peripherals. And the COOLPIX L1 also comes complete with Nikon's PictureProject software, which offers simplified image editing, organizing and sharing with a range of user-friendly functions.
- Note: Specifications, design, product name, standard accessories, and release schedule may differ by country or area.
Nikon COOLPIX L1 Feature Highlights
- Higher performance from a smaller CCD
- Specially designed to realize smaller dimensions that assist in facilitating the compact size of the COOLPIX L1, the 1/2.5-inch CCD offers the added advantage of even higher performance. Packing an impressive 6.2 effective megapixels, it enables the shooting of sharp, clear images that retain their quality even when significantly enlarged.
- 5x zoom capability in a compact body
- Despite its compact dimensions, the COOLPIX L1 features a powerful 38-190mm Zoom-Nikkor lens (35mm equivalent) that gives you the freedom of 5x zoom. Delivering greater compositional freedom than the average compact digital camera, it allows you to zoom in for closely composed portraits or zoom way out for expansive landscapes, for example.
- Features for simple shooting. Features that improve images in-camera
- A range of 15 Scene Modes makes it easy to achieve pleasing images in a range of common shooting circumstances. There is also a range of unique Nikon functions that gives the photographer the power to actually improve images in-camera. Available in Playback Mode, the D-Lighting function lets users select images with insufficient flash or excessive back light. D-Lighting then automatically creates a copy of the selected image, but with added light and detail wherever necessary. Face-priority AF, available in Portrait Mode, has the ability to detect the presence of a human face in the frame, achieving crisp focus on it automatically for satisfyingly sharp portraits — regardless of where the subject is located in the frame. There's also In-Camera Red-Eye Fix, which automatically detects the red eye effect that can be caused by flash and corrects it to produce better portraits in low light.
- AA-size battery compatibility
- Compatible with AA-size batteries, which are widely available around the world in lithium, rechargeable and other forms, the COOLPIX L1 makes it easy to keep on shooting virtually wherever you travel.
Nikon COOLPIX L1 Other Features
- Highly portable dimensions of 89.5 x 60.5 x 47mm (3.5 x 2.4 x 1.9 in.) (W x H x D)
- Light weight of approximately 180g (6.3 oz) (without battery and memory card)
- BSS (Best Shot Selector) identifies and saves the best exposure automatically from ten sequential shots
- Time zone function enables local time to be set regardless of where you are in the world
- 4 x digital zoom takes you even closer
- Single AF and Continuous AF selectable in Movie Mode
- Choice of White Balance: Auto with TTL control, 5-mode manual (Daylight, Incandescent, Fluorescent, Cloudy and Flash) and Preset
- Playback options: Single, 4- and 9-segment thumbnail, Slideshow
- Built-in flash: features settings for Auto, Auto with red-eye reduction (In-Camera Red-Eye Fix), Off, Fill Flash and Slow sync.
- Noise reduction ensures better color reproduction during Dusk/Dawn and Night landscape modes
Nikon Digital Camera COOLPIX L1 Specifications
|Type||Compact digital camera|
|Effective pixels||6.2 million|
|CCD||1/2.5-inch type (6.37 million total pixels)|
|Image modes||High (2816*), Normal (2816), Normal (2048), PC (1024), TV (640)|
|Lens||5x Zoom-Nikkor; 6.3-31.4mm (35mm  format equivalent to 38-190mm); f/2.9-5.0; 9 elements in 7 groups; Digital zoom: up to 4x|
|Focus range||50cm (1 ft. 8 in.) to infinity (∞), 4cm (1.6 in.) to infinity (∞) in Macro Mode|
|LCD monitor||2.5-inch type, 115,000-dot TFT LCD monitor with brightness adjustment|
|Storage Media||Internal memory: approx. 10MB, SD memory card|
|Shooting Modes||Auto, Scene Assist (Portrait, Landscape, Sports, Night portrait), Scene (Party/Indoor, Beach/Snow, Sunset, Dusk/Dawn, Night landscape, Close up, Museum, Fireworks show, Copy, Back light, Panorama assist), BSS (Best Shot Selector), Color Options, Blur Warning, Date Imprint, Self-timer (10 sec.)|
|Movie||With sound: TV movie (640) at 15fps, Small size (320) at 30fps, Smaller size (160) at 30fps|
|Capture modes||1) Single, 2) Continuous (approx. 0.7fps), 3) Multi-shot 16 (16 frames 1/16 in size)|
|Number of frames
(w/ Internal memory)
|High (2816*) approx. 3, Normal (2816) approx. 6|
|Built-in flash||Range: 0.5-3.5m/ 1 ft. 8 in. – 11ft. 6 in. (W), 0.5-2m/ 1 ft. 8 in. – 6 ft. 7 in. (T); Flash modes: Auto, Auto with Red-eye Reduction (In-Camera Red-Eye Fix), Off, Fill flash and Slow sync.|
|Supported languages||German/ English/ Spanish/ French/ Italian/ Dutch/ Swedish/ Japanese/ Simplified Chinese/ Traditional Chinese/ Korean/ Russian selectable in menu display|
|Power requirements||Two AA-size batteries (Rechargeable Ni-MH Battery EN-MH1-B2 with Battery Charger MH-71, LR6 alkaline batteries, ZR6 oxy-nickel batteries and FR6/L91 lithium batteries), AC Adapter EH-62B|
|Battery life (approx.)||Approx. 100 shots with alkaline, 400 shots with lithium, or 230 shots with EN-MH1-B2 Batteries (based on CIPA standard*)|
|Dimensions (W x H x D)||Approx. 89.5 x 60.5 x 47mm (3.5 x 2.4 x 1.9 in.)|
|Weight||Approx. 180g (6.3 oz.) (without battery and memory card)|
|Supplied accessories**||Strap, USB Cable UC-E6, Audio Video Cable EG-CP14, Rechargeable Ni-MH Battery EN-MH1-B2, Battery Charger MH-71, PictureProject CD-ROM|
|Optional Accessories||AC Adapter EH-62B|
- *Industry standard for measuring life of camera batteries. Measured at 25°C (77°F); zoom adjusted with each shot, built-in flash fired with every other shot, image mode set to Normal.
- **Supplied accessories may differ by country or area
PictureProject System Requirements
|OS||Macintosh: Mac® OS X version 10.1.5 or later (version 10.2.8 or later required for Burn Disc option)
Windows: Windows® XP Home Edition / Professional, Windows® 2000 Professional, Windows® Me, Windows® 98SE pre-installed models
|RAM||Macintosh: 64MB or more recommended
Windows: 64MB or more recommended (128MB with muvee option)
|Hard disk||60MB required for installation|
|Display||800 x 600 or more with 16-bit color (full color recommended)|
|Others||CD-ROM drive required for installation
Only built-in USB ports are supported
- Microsoft® and Windows® are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Microsoft Corporation in the United States and/or other countries. Macintosh® and QuickTime® are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Apple Computer Inc. in the United States and/or other countries. The FotoNation logo is a trademark. The SD logo is a trademark. PictBridge is a trademark. D-Lighting technology is provided by Apical Limited. Face-priority AF technology is provided by Identix®. Products and brand names are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective companies.
- Specifications and equipment are subject to change without any notice or obligation on the part of the manufacturer. September 2005
- The information is current as of the date of publication. It is subject to change without notice.